During the past four months, I’ve been taking a cheese class that delves into the wild world of cheese making, selling, marketing, tasting and describing. I’m coming across all kinds of fun party facts so I thought I’d share them with my fellow foodies!
– A 4-ounce piece of solid farmhouse cheese supplies more than half of the adult nutritional requirements for protein, fat, calcium, and phosphorous as well as significant portions of vitamins A, B2, and B12. *
– A 3.5oz chunk of hard, aged cheese contains about twice as much protein and one quarter the cholesterol of an equivalent amount of (two) chicken eggs. *
– Fresh mozzarella is inherently low calorie due to it being inherently high moisture (water).
– Calorie for calorie, Parmigiano Reggiano is lower in fat and higher in protein than a triple cream brie.
* Mastering Cheese: Lessons for Connoisseurship From A Maitre Fromager
Shopping for something new from the cheese counter?
Beechers Dutch Hollow Dulcet
Born in Beechers New York location, this cheese is unexpectedly creamy considering the classic offering from Beechers. The initial taste is rich with a smooth texture, but the lasting impression leaves an indulgent tang; this is like really wonderful string cheese for adults. An easy snacking cheese or melt Dulcet into your next grilled cheese sandwich!
Picture courtesy of beechershandmadecheese.com